Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Work in Progress Wednesday v.82

Happy leap year y'all!  Didja miss me?  I'm freshly returned from Stitches West and all the craziness that let up to it, and super happy to be home and getting back to WIPW this week.

Stitches was great.  Calfornia was great.  Seeing my all my awesome girlfriends (and remembering that I have lots of awesome girlfriends) was super great.  It was all so fantastic that it will get its own post this weekend, and you'll want to check it out because there's a giveaway involved.  I won't say what it is, but it might be yarn, and it might or might not involve the words Tosh and/or Madeline (not necessarily in that order).  Because I love you guys!  So don't forget to come back and get all entered and whatnot.  Okay?

You may remember this pre-trip picture of my nicely caked yarn for my next project, Narragansett...


And all of you were kind enough not to point out how I was a complete idiot to think I'd be knitting through 3 skeins of yarn on a 5-day vacation.  Thanks for that, but you would've been sooo right.  I toted all 3 of those yarn cakes out to California and back, and managed to knit just under half of one of them.  So much for wishful thinking, right?  Anyway, here's how it's looking now:


This is a top-down sweater, so what you're seeing is the boat neck and the beginnings of the raglan increases for the sleeves.  I'm loving working with this yarn, but I'm a bit worried that it's so squishy the sweater might not hold its shape.  It's feeling very loosey goosey at the moment, even though I'm knitting just a smidge tighter than gauge.

I've also been following a modification that someone used for smaller eyelets on either side of the raglans, and I'm a bit on the fence about how it's working out.  I really like the idea of having smaller holes, but I'm not sure it's working out too well.

This picture is as close as I can get to illustrating my point with bad light and a jet-lagged brain,    I may soldier on a bit longer, we'll see.  This is a fun and pretty zippy knit, so undoing a bit of it won't be too much of a disaster if it goes that way.

In other news, Tink over at Master of a Thousand Things FINALLY received her swap package from me!  I'm a little bummed that it took so long, but so glad she's finally got her hands on her goodies and really excited that I can finally spill all my secrets.  She's blogging about her gifts now, and has opened all of her hand knit gifts in her first two days so I can finally give them their time in the FO Friday spotlight.  Woot!

I can't decide if the opening or the watching of the opening is more fun.  I'm a smidge overly happy about both, I think.  Anyway, after you stop by Tink's blog, go check out the rest of the (zillion) WIPW entries.  They're totally worth the trip.

See you Friday!

13 comments:

  1. Hey, it's better to take too much yarn than not enough ;)

    I love that pattern. In fact, my boyfriend bought it for me for my birthday, so I shall be casting it on next (which could be some time from now of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun pattern, and lovely yarn. Glad you had such a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a string love for presents! And usually not ones for me (although those are great too)...more watching people open them! I'm a freak at showers and Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super excited about the giveaway! I firmly believe that top-down sweaters are the very best, this one will be beautiful! I'm glad (and jealous) that you were able to go to Stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweater looks great. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! I can't wait to read more about your trip to Stitches West and see the goodies that you brought back. That is a good start to your sweater. Smaller eyelets might be advantageous if you are concerned about the yarn growing a bit after blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, I do the same thing with my knitting when I travel! I'd hate to be caught short of yarn and not be able to knit, better to be safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Running out of yarn would be a Very Bad Thing, and therefore must be avoided at all cost... anyway, it's not like the extra two skeins were really weighing you down!

    How do you find the pattern? I'm contemplating a Baby Cocktails pattern for my next purchase, and am wondering how newbie-friendly it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The good news is that the vacation was so great that you ONLY had a chance to knit half a skein. So much better that than the alternative, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like the look of that sweater. i wish i was brave enough to knit something i could wear that didnt have comedy value - or was a scarf!
    Glad you had a fun trip.
    looking forward to your competition!
    hope you're well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will look forward to hearing about your Stitches West adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I second it's better to have more than less ;)
    Must've been a fun vacay. (I can't wait for the lowdown AND the giveaway!)
    Can't wait to see the final sweater. I like boat necks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way the cable along side the raglan increases looks. I hope the pattern+modifications+yarn+gauge+the fickle nature of knitting end up equalling a gorgeous sweater!
    Just seeing the word "tosh" in your post is almost enough to reduce a girl who is 2 months into a yarn diet to tears : (

    ReplyDelete